Wednesday, January 16, 2013
10 Songs About Trouble
Like you, I have seen my share of personal trouble and of troubled times. First, there's the picayune kind of trouble, the trouble you bring on yourself through laziness or sheer stupidity. Unfortunately it's the brand I'm most familiar with, having done enough dumb, simple things (or in many cases, not done dumb, simple things) that got me into plenty of hot water. But that's just dipshit stuff, and is nothing compared to real trouble -- the trouble you find yourself in when you've made a horrible mistake, or when you've stumbled morally or ethically, or simply because whatever caused the trouble seemed like a good idea at the time. And that's nothing compared to the worst kind of trouble, that kind you find yourself in through nothing more than dumb luck and no fault of your own -- like you or a loved one getting seriously sick, or getting laid off, or becoming the target of a soul with malice on their mind. As I grow older, I worry a lot less about the picayune dipshit stuff, which is a relief, but I worry a lot more about the scary unknown shit, which is a lot more real and lurks around every corner, looking to leap out at you. Eventually, it probably will, so you're left to prepare as best you can -- usually while you're laying awake at night trying not to think about it. Here, then, are some songs to help get you through the worry, and maybe even through the trouble.
1. Bruce Springsteen, "All That Heaven Will Allow"
2. BoDeans. "I'm in Trouble Again"
3. Bob Marley, "No More Trouble"
4. Ray LaMontagne, "Trouble"
5. Bessie Smith, "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out"
6. Emmylou Harris, "Till I Gain Control Again"
7. Chris Isaak, "Heart Shaped World"
8. Ray Davies, "Return to Waterloo"
9. Stevie Nicks, "Whole Lotta Trouble"
10. Madonna, "Papa Don't Preach"
UPDATE: old pal Rich Kurlantzick adds:
11. Allman Brothers, "Trouble No More"
12. Marvin Gaye, "Trouble Man"
13. Dave Edmunds, "Trouble Boys"