Wednesday, February 6, 2013

You're Breaking My Heart - Great F.U. Breakup Songs


A recent post I made on my Facebook page of Joan Baez 's "Diamonds and Rust" led to a nifty discussion of great "F.U." breakup songs, and I asked my friends (I do have friends) to share their favorites, to be posted here. Well, as you can see, the response was overwhelming. It reconfirms my belief that nothing hurts worse or feels better than a great pop song, especially when yer heart is involved.

UPDATE: And the list continues to grow!

Joan Baez, "Diamonds and Rust"
Bob Dylan, "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"
Tonio K. "H-A-T-R-E-D"
Aimee Mann, "Fourth of July"
Paul Westerberg, "Whatever Makes You Happy"
Travis Tritt, "Here's A Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares"
Pretenders, "Tatooed Love Boys"
Bob Dylan, "Positively 4th Street"
Barenaked Ladies, "Break Your Heart"
Harry Nilsson, "You're Breaking My Heart"
Motley Crue, "Don't Go Away Mad, Just Go Away"
Kelis, "Caught Out There"
Bessie Smith, "Lock and Key"
Elvis Presley, "Heartbreak Hotel"
Martina McBride, "Cry on the Shoulder of the Road"
Evanescence. "Going Under"
Hayseed Dixie, "Keeping Your Poop in A Jar"
Julie London, "Cry Me A River"
The Mountain Goats, "There Will Be No Divorce"
Heights, "Eyes Set to Kill"
Cee Lo, "Fuck You"
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, "Too Bad on Your Birthday"
Marvin Gaye, "Here, My Dear"
Pat Benatar, "You Better Run"
Green Day, "Platypus I Hate You"
Elvis Presley, "It's Over"
GWAR, "Sick of You"
Michael Jackson, "She's Out of My Life"
Carrie Underwood, "Before He Cheats"
Ray Charles, "Hit the Road Jack"
Pink, "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)"
Dawes, "If I Wanted Someone"
Pink, "Who Knew"
Rodney Crowell, "If Looks Could Kill"
Steely Dan, "Haitian Divorce"
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "You Got Lucky"
The Beautiful South, "A Little Time"
Steve Forbert, "Say Goodbye to Little Jo"
Electric Light Orchestra, "Evil Woman"
The Louvin Brothers, "Knoxville Girl"
Banjo & Sullivan, "I'm At Home Getting Hammered While She's Getting Out Getting Nailed"
Ruth Brown, "Too Little, Too Late"


No comments:

Post a Comment