Ah, the art of the musical montage. So tempting for a director to use, so easy to botch. Herewith are some of my favorites from over the years. I'll bet you have some, too, so post them either here or (more likely) on the Facebook post I'll link this to.
The rules: the music has to be a fairly well-known song (any genre). The montage can be from any film or TV show. And the term "montage" does not mean you're limited to movies that show several shots in succession. It could be one continuous scene. So get to it!
(Clips after the jump)
10. (Possibly my favorite ever) Little Willie John, "My Love" from Lone Star (1996)
9. Cat Stevens, "The Wind" and John Lennon, "Oh Yoko" from Rushmore (1999)
8. Herman's Hermits, "I'm Into Something Good" from The Naked Gun (1988)
7. Iguanas, "Boom Boom" from the Homicide: Life on the Streets episode "The Documentary" (1996)
6. Vince Gualradi Trio, "Christmas Time is Here" from Arrested Development (2003)
5. Derek and the Dominoes, "Layla" (Piano Exit) from Goodfellas (1991)