Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Dr. Winston O'Boogie Writes
In 1974 Todd Rundgren gave an interview to Melody Maker that was disparaging of the Beatles and of John Lennon in particular. Lennon responded a few months later in a letter to the magazine, proving the adage that trying to out a-hole John Lennon was a mugg's game.
AN OPENED LETTUCE TO SODD RUNTLESTUNTLE (from dr winston o'boogie)
Couldn't resist adding a few "islands of truth" of my own, in answer to Turd Runtgreen's howl of hate (pain.)
I like you, and some of your work, including "I Saw The Light", which is not unlike "There's A Place" (Beatles), melody wise.
1) I have never claimed to be a revolutionary. But I am allowed to sing about anything I want! Right?
2) I never hit a waitress in the Troubador, I did act like an ***, I was too drunk. So shoot me!
3) I guess we're all looking for attention Rodd, do you really think I don't know how to get it, without "revolution?" I could dye my hair green and pink for a start!
4) I don't represent anyone but my SELF. It sounds like I represented something to you, or you wouldn't be so violent towards me. (Your dad perhaps?)
5) Yes Dodd, violence comes in mysterious ways it's wonders to perform, including verbal. But you'd know that kind of mind game, wouldn't you? Of course you would.
6) So the Nazz use to do "like heavy rock" then SUDDENLY a "light pretty ballad". How original!
7) Which gets me to the Beatles, "who had no other style than being the Beatles"!! That covers a lot of style man, including your own, TO DATE...
Yes Godd, the one thing those Beatles did was to affect PEOPLES' MINDS. Maybe you need another fix?
Somebody played me your rock and roll pussy song, but I never noticed anything. i think that the real reason you're mad at me is cause I didn't know who you were at the Rainbow (L.A.) Remember that time you came in with Wolfman Jack? When I found out later, I was cursing cause I wanted to tell you how good you were. (I'd heard you on the radio.)
Anyway, However much you hurt me darling; I'll always love you,
30th Sept. 1974